Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Advantages of Having too Much Time to Think - What I Learned About Writing

As I mentioned in my last post, I was sick for over a year...very sick. When I was awake during that time, the only thing I could do was watch mind numbing television or entertain myself with my own thoughts.There is a lot to be said for having too much time to think...I discovered very important things about myself, my life, and my career.

When I first started writing, I did it because I loved it. Writing is my outlet. It is how I express my thoughts best, therefore, it was a very natural career path. Back then, the experts told me that due to my level of passion for my craft, success was guaranteed. They were right...I've always had success in my writing career - right from the very beginning. I'm not bragging, I'm just being honest because it is necessary for the point I am trying to make.

As I grew more successful, my passion for writing dwindled. While I had nothing but time to think, it dawned on me that I had lost my passion for writing because my hobby had become a full time job, and then a more than full time business...with all of the stress, problems, and headaches that go along with running your own business. Somehow, my lack of passion did nothing to slow my success, but my success did slow my desire to write.

This past year has taught me that passive income is what I need to solely focus on. The year proved that the passive income I already have, combined with my husbands income is enough money for us. While I was ill, I was still getting paid from Constant Content for articles that were still in my catalog there, and I was also still getting royalties from my book sales.

By creating more of this passive income, I can write under completely stress-free conditions.No deadlines, no clients, no need to earn a certain amount of money each week, and no fear about how my health will affect my career or my income.

Although by creating passive income I am earning money, I am no longer writing for the money. Instead, I'm going back to that state where I write for the sheer love of the craft...I will continue to build my catalog at Constant Content, I will continue to write and publish books, and I will continue to blog here. This is why I won't be setting up my websites again...I'm only going to do that which I truly want to do :)

I hope that all of you take care not to allow your freelance writing jobs to steal your passion for writing away!


No comments:

Post a Comment