Friday, July 20, 2012

Topic Ad Nauseum...Writing About the Same Topics Over and Over

I love being a freelance writer. I love the fact that I can sit on my behind, at home, and make money. I would  never - could never - go back to leaving my house to work at a regular 'job' after enjoying the freedoms of being a freelance writer. Some days, however, writing just makes me want to throw up.

These days generally occur when I've spent several days doing a bulk article job on one topic. I hate jobs where the client requests 50 articles on a specific topic, and wants me to come up with the article ideas for that topic. I can do it. I do it all of the time. I do it well. I just don't like it. I hate it even more when the topic is incredibly boring to begin with.

So, what do you do when you've written about a topic to the point of feeling nauseous? Well, I don't know how you handle it, or will handle it, but I can tell you how I handle it.

I suck it up and keep writing until the job is finished. 

The sooner I can get the job finished, the sooner I can get paid and move onto something else. If I am especially sick to death of the work, and the work is not finished, I take a short break, and then get back to work.

Once the job is finished, I take a deep cleansing breath, close my eyes, and just enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that always comes with completing a clients work - but that feeling of accomplishment somehow feels even better when I'm absolutely sick to death of the topic.

The next thing that I do is make sure that the next job I take has a more interesting topic and that it is a smaller scale job (fewer articles on a specific topic).

Being a freelance content writer is absolutely wonderful, but as with any other career, there will always be days or projects that you simply do not enjoy doing. You have two choices - quit or suck it up and keep writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment