Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why I Don't Use Speech-to-Text Software

As a writer who has Lupus, I have been asked why I don't use speech-to-text software, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, to make things easier on my hands and fingers.

I actually have tried several different brands of speech-to-text programs, and I simply do not like them. They slow me down, and they interfere with my creative process overall, but I also have very specific reasons why I don't like them and won't use them.

Here are my reasons why:

1. I have to turn off my Big Brother Feeds to use the software. For a Big Brother fanatic, that is torturous.

Strike One.

2. I am a Southern gal, with a heavy southern accent. Training the software seems to be next to impossible for me. I've been told that it can be done, and it just takes a while, but I'm just not that patient, and I just don't want to spend the free time that I have training software. I type 96 words a minute with 100% accuracy, and that time is better spent writing or doing something else that I love to do - and being southern, you can be sure that I type way faster than I talk anyway.

Strike Two.

3. I'm a thinker, not a talker. I am almost ashamed to admit that I simply do not speak as well as I think. I'm not talking about the use of proper grammar. I can speak in proper sentences when I choose to or need to, instead of speaking in the southern slang that is the norm for me. I am talking about the fact that when my mouth is engaged, it seems like the thoughts get stuck in my head, and I cannot get them out in the way that I want to. I've even been told that I do not express myself very well verbally, and that is 100% true. I wish I could communicate with everyone through writing instead of speaking.

Strike Three.

You're Out!

While speech-to-text software has not worked well for me, or made me happy, this doesn't mean that it wouldn't be beneficial for you or someone else. I think anyone who does a great deal of writing should give such software a try to see if they have more success with it than I did. Who knows, it may improve your writing - especially if typing doesn't come easily or quickly for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment